Winter presents many challenges for vehicle owners, not the least of which are lower temperatures, longer nights and changeable road conditions. Added together, the months ahead are certain to produce their share of frustrations.
Holm Automotive Center offers many GM models equipped with the Stabilitrak electronic stability control system. That system not only makes it easier to operate your vehicle in adverse conditions, but also drastically improves safety. In fact the NHTSA estimates that systems like Stabilitrak will reduce the occurrence of single vehicle accidents by as much as 59%. That could save nearly 10,000 lives per year!
The first and most often overlooked part of staying safe on the road during the winter is the care of your vehicle. The NHTSA recommends having your vehicle checked by a certified mechanic to avoid getting any surprises. Here are some basics to consider before heading out:
- Fill your windshield wiper reservoir and make sure your wipers are in good condition.
- Know your car! Get out and practice driving on less busy streets.
- Antilock Breaks - If your vehicle is equipped with ABS, be aware that you will feel the brake pedal pulsate when heavy braking is applied. DO NOT LET OFF THE BRAKES WHEN THIS HAPPENS! Many people are startled by the pulsation when the car is doing what it is designed to do. Keep firm pressure on the break pedal while the ABS system does it's job.
- Slow Down! Always increase your following distance and drive at a speed that will allow you to stop.
- Plan Your Trip - If it is necessary to travel then plan your route according to weather and road condition reports. Leave in ample time to arrive at your destination as scheduled.
- Be Prepared - Stock your vehicle with emergency survival items such as food, blankets, flares, a shovel, etc...
Obviously tires are key to keeping you on the road and heading straight. Many people elect to wait until the last minute to replace their wearing tires. We understand that saving money is important to other people just like it is important to us. What should be realized is that by replacing your tires during the winter months you are helping to avoid a costly or dangerous accident. Holm Auto is also offering Special Winter Discounts on all Tires. Contact Brad Signer at the Holm Auto Parts Department for prices on your size.